Dedicated Family Law Representation Your Case is Our Commitment

Modifications Lawyer in Spokane

Changing an Existing Court Order for Child Support

Reaching a Peaceful ModificationLife after divorce is full of changes. In some situations, these changes may require a change to a court order for child support, meaning you will need to file a petition with the court. There are two ways to change a child support order in Washington State: a Motion for Adjustment of Child Support and a Petition to Modify a Child Support Order. At Law Office of Benjamin D. Platt, our modifications attorney in Spokane can help you determine the appropriate method for your situation.

Please call (509) 571-2277 to discuss your situation and determine if a modification is possible.

Motion for Adjustment of Child Support

Filing a motion for adjustment is the easiest and fastest method for modification of an existing child support order. There is usually only one hearing and less paperwork required for a motion for adjustment. However, you must meet the legal requirements to file this motion. You may be able to change the support amount and the expenses that must be paid for daycare, uninsured medical expenses, or education expenses.

When Can I Modify a Child Support Order?

If you do not meet the legal requirements for a motion for adjustment, you may be able to file a Petition to Modify a Child Support Order. In order to file this petition, you must meet the requirements for filing a motion for adjustment or have waited at least 12 months since the original court order for child support.

You may file a Petition to Modify a Child Support Order if:

  • The order causes severe economic hardship
  • You want support to continue past the age of 18 if the child has not graduated
  • The current support order was entered by default
  • There is a substantial change in circumstance

Petitions for modifications may be filed in the county where the existing child support order was entered, where the child lives, or where the person with primary custody resides. Whether you are the parent requesting the modification or you need to respond to a request for modification, it is important to get the advice of an attorney with experience in family law. Our modifications lawyer in Spokane focuses entirely on family law and has extensive knowledge of the support process, including petitioning for modifications.

We encourage you to call our firm at (509) 571-2277 to arrange a consultation.

Client Testimonials

Hear From Families Like Yours
  • “I have no doubt he will take care of you as graciously as he's done me.”

    Luke P.
  • “I've recommend him already to many people and will continue moving forward. Thank you again Ben and your staff members.”

    Craig A.
  • “Literally the best of the best!”

    Jean C.
  • “The Law Office of Benjamin D. Platt are diligent,caring, and effective. This is the firm you want!”

    Jenna C. Spokane, WA
  • “So thankful to have him in my corner to ensure the best, most stable life for my daughter.”

    Sabrina M.
  • “Their attention to details is in my opinion what sets them apart from other law offices and I would recommend them to everyone I know, knowing they will do an exceptional job just as they have done for me in the past.”

    Nick B.
  • “Thanks you guys!”

    Jim Z.
  • “Benjamin did a phenomenal job!”

    Sergey Y.
  • “Their attention to detail is, in my opinion, what sets them apart from other law offices, and I would recommend them to everyone I know.”

    Kristine S.
  • “You won’t find a better lawyer!”

    Bennett family
  • “He explains everything to you and is very patient. He is awesome in the court room and did everything in his power to get me what I wanted!”

    Jessica H.
  • “Fair and honest services.”

    Jon T. Spokane, WA
  • “Constantly keeping you up to date on what's going on!”

    Casey W.
  • “Highly recommend.”

    Karli C.

Why Hire Us?

Our Commitment to Your Family
  • Results-Driven, Client-Focused Representation

  • Representing Families in Spokane Since 2006

  • Exclusively Focused on Family Law Cases

  • Free 30-Minute Attorney Consultations

Search Our Site